Friday, October 29, 2010

Starting the Diet...

BREAKFAST
I highly recommend Weetbix. It is cheap, easy to measure (two weetbix) and wholesome.  If you don’t like it, try it again, every day for a month, you will get used to it.  I have 2 weetbix, 2 spoons of oat bran and one spoon of sultanas/dates or ½ piece of fresh fruit for my breakfast with as much skim milk as the bowl will hold.

My husband likes his milk separate from the weetbix, because it makes the weetbix soft (I like mine soft) and he puts a 200g tub of yoghurt on his two weetbix, with 2 spoons of oat bran.  Then he takes his milk separately with coffee to make a sugar free iced coffee drink.

If you persevere with toast, you will be looking to put a spread on it, such as butter/margarine, cheese or jam.  Trust me and try the weetbix.

Other cereal?  You have to read the packs, weigh or measure the quantity.
Porrige or Oatmeal is a good alternative, both made from oats, so the addition or oatbran is redundant.  Do not sweeten with anything but artificial sweetener or a few sultana/dates.

Going out for breakfast? Poached egg and mushroom and/or tomato is good, one piece of unbuttered toast.

LUNCH
  • One sandwich, not a schnitzel or anything fried in the sandwich, no cheese.
  • A wrap, nothing fried, no mayo (unless you KNOW it is low fat).
  • A salad, not Caesar dressing, few croutons, not fried.
  • Vietnamese rice paper rolls.


DINNER
Choose one protein, such as chicken, beef, pork, or lentil/beans.  Protein fills you and satisfies.
One to two serves of carbs.
Vegetables (not fried, no cheese or butter sauce) or salad

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your practical tips, Karen. I do smile when you mention the Weetbix, as Blads was very keen on them when I saw him at AU last year, and it made an impression on me.

    ReplyDelete